Monday, August 13, 2012

The Background Story

Let me give you a little background information.

I am a female in my early 30's. I have 2 children under the age of 3.5 currently. I have self esteem issues that directly correlate to what kind of car I'm driving. We traded in my 2010 Black Toyota Rav4 for a 2012 Black Toyota Sienna (a minivan). Granted it IS the 'Swagger Wagon' however, I was talked into it.

There are some logical reasons why a minivan is practical for this time in my life:
1. I can get kids in and out of the car in smaller parking spots because I don't have to swing the door open wide enough to get a carseat out.
2. An adult can *comfortably* sit between the said 2 children and take care of their needs on long trips.
3. It has a backup camera so I can see what I'm running over.
4. It has auto everything- this has been quite superb, to be totally honest.
5. There is a 3rd row that we can put up incase people want to drive with us.
6. TONS of trunk space- it's a Lowe's run dream. (We used to cram heaven knows what into our tiny little Dodge Neon back in the day- we were amazing at cramming).

However, with all the great logistics of having a minivan, it doesn't fit my personality. I realized one morning when I was bustin' out the awesome new songs on my speakers, that I would have been completely embarrassed to roll down my windows.  What kind of mother is awesome like that, with a MINIVAN!? The answer is: No one.

Having a minivan automatically puts me in the class of losers that care more about stability and life insurance than about having fun, being loud, and going fast.  In a sense, I am a ferarri in a minivan body. If it isn't fast, I don't want it.

My husband and I have an agreement that once our youngest is ~2-3 years old, the minivan will be traded in, and I can get at least a sedan, or a mini SUV again- depending on what's cool in 2-3 years. ;) So, I'm doing my duty. I'm being a responsible parent. I'm fitting "this" role for now.


No comments: